Google
Web Dreamtime
SiteSearch Google

Monday, October 20, 2008

Too Hot To Hoot - "Weird Al" Yankovic



One of the nice things about doing Dreamtime is the interaction between me and my reader/listeners. An anonymous commenter recently noted:
I will admit that, after listening to several bootlegged TTRHs, I was considering XM... but it wasn't until they did an Artist Confidential with "Weird Al" Yankovic that I actually bought a radio and subscribed. So now I have TTRH too. And hey, Dylan has mentioned Weird Al (imagining the differences between Al's high school valedictorian speech and that of a future Chief Justice) and Al has done a fine Dylanesque homage, entirely in palindromes, called "Bob." So they're not entirely unconnected. :)
Now, I have to admit that I'm not all that much of a fan of "Weird Al." Nothing against the man. I just think most music spoofs fall into the "funny-once" category, to borrow a line from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. So, I had missed Yankovic's very funny take on Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues video, done in rhyming palindromes, from back in 2006. Thank you, Anon. for pointing it out and providing me with an entertaining couple of minutes this morning. I needed it.

Anon. also notes that Mr. D. name-checked Al, I believe back in the School episode, comparing the Weird One to William Rehnquist: “I wonder if William Rehnquist gave the same type of [valedictorian] speech as Weird Al. Somehow I doubt it.”

Me too. According to a recent Wired article on Weird Al his valedictory speech was, "... a rant about how the polar ice caps are going to melt and drown us all. It was this crazed Howard Beale kind of thing. People were freaked out."

No comments: