Google
Web Dreamtime
SiteSearch Google

Friday, December 19, 2008

The Songs He Didn't Write (But Has Played on TTRH)



I've been reading Derek Barker's massive and fascinating "The Songs He Didn't Write" (thanks to Johanna Moore over at the Expecting Rain TTRH forum for the recommendation!) over the past week, and to my mind it settles any question of how many of the TTRH music selections are coming directly from Dylan.

In two words, "a lot," I think. Below is a partial list of songs that Dylan has covered at various times in his career which have also been played on Theme Time.  This doesn't even include the artists - like Eddie Noack - who Dylan has covered at one time or another and whose music - if not the specific song, he's also played on the show.

Some of the selections are easy picks for their respective theme(s), and anybody from Eddie G. to Freddy B. might have made them. But here are also too many not-very-well-known and downright obscure songs which I think were selected by someone who had a personal interest in them, an interest and love strong enough to make him want to try his hand at covering them at one time or another.

While it's only a few days till Christmas, if you're looking for a last-minute Christmas gift for that Dylan-lover in the family, you couldn't do better than "The Songs He Didn't Write."

***

20-20 Vision
All I Have to Do is Dream
Be Careful of the Stones that You Throw
Blue Monday
Blue Moon of Kentucky
Blue Suede Shoes
Blue Yodel No. 1
Casey Jones (and Kassie Jones)
Cool Water
Corrina, Corrina
The Cuckoo
Diamond Joe
Dust My Broom
El Paso
Farewell to the Gold
Folsom Prison Blues
A Fool Such as I
Friend of the Devil
Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl
Stop Kickin' My Dog Around
Hello Stranger
I Still Miss Someone
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
In the Summertime
Kansas City
Long Black Veil
Moon River
My Blue-eyed Jane
Mystery Train
No Money Down
Old Man
One Irish Rover
Red Cadillac And a Black Mustache
Rumble
San Francisco Bay Blues
Searching for a Soldier's Grave
Send Me to the 'Lectric Chair
Sing Me Back Home
Train of Love
Universal Soldier
Walk a Mile in My Shoes
We Three (My Echo, My Shadow and Me)
White Dove
Wildwood Flower
You Are My Sunshine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On the 'Beginnings Middles Ends' show he played "Don't Start Me Talking" by the great Sonny Boy Williamson. Here's Bob covering it on Letterman...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2mdg1wvGD4